Hop-on Hop-off Experience
Franschhoek Wine Tram currently offers eight hop-on hop-off lines to choose from each visiting a selection of wine estates showcasing a separate part of the Franschhoek Valley.
Passengers board the tour at the ticket office located in the Franschhoek Village and are transported by a combination of tram and tram-bus around a loop of stops allowing passengers to hop-on hop-off at any of the stops.
Each of the lines has a wide selection of wine estates to visit from boutique to marquee estates and each offers a unique perspective on the Franschhoek wine experience.
- Passengers will be transported by tram and open-air tram-bus around a loop of stops with a selection of wine estates to disembark at
- In addition to the wine tasting activities offered at each stop, several of the wine estates on the tour boast world-class restaurants serving lunches and picnics
- The tram or tram-bus passes each stop according to the timetable allowing passengers to hop-on hop-off at their convenience
- Wine purchased while on the tour can be handed over to the host for later collection at the end of the tour
- Price: Adult R240 / Child (3-17) R90
- Wine tasting fees at each estate (between R25 and R150 per person) are not included in the tour price
- The tour starts and ends at the ticket office located in the centre of the Franschhoek Village
- In order to avoid disappointment we advise passengers to make lunch reservations at least 24 hours in advance of travel. Click here for a complete list of tour restaurants.
- An optional transfer from Cape Town can be added during the booking process (additional fees apply)
Hop-on Hop-off Lines
Hop-on Hop-off Tour Tips
BEFORE THE TOUR
Book your tickets in advance, especially if you want to travel on a specific line and depart at a specific time. Book online at www.winetram.co.za. Please note that our last departure is at 13:30 on our red line.
Before deciding on a line, learn more about the estates and the activities they offer.
Consult the timetable of the route you want to travel on and plan your day. You won’t be able to visit all the estates on each line. Take note of the maximum number of stops mentioned for each departure time in the schedule and remember that not all wine estates are located next to the railway tracks. We make use of an open-sided bus to travel to these estates.
If you’re planning on having lunch or a picnic at an estate, phone the estate and book in advance. Some restaurants might be closed on the day of your tour. Here is a list of restaurants.
Include a transfer with your booking and make sure that you include your address for your private chauffeur pick-up. Doing so, your driver will know exactly where to collect you and you don’t have to drive back home after the tour and/or book accommodation at a guest house or hotel.
Booking for a group of 20 people or more? Have a look at our group experience.
DAY OF THE TOUR
If you are planning on buying wine while on the tour, purchase our wine tote bag that includes a discount card for use at participating estates. Proceeds go to the charity that manufactures them.
Eat a big breakfast before the tour and drink lots of water all day.
Make sure you enjoy a cup of coffee before your departure. No food and drinks are allowed on the tram or bus.
Take sunblock or a jacket (for colder days) as the tram and bus are open-sided.
Make sure your phone is charged. You’re going to want to take pictures. If you’re planning on sharing them on social media, please add #winetram to your post.
If you buy wine, leave it with our driver. Your wine will be marked with a sticker and you’ll get a corresponding sticker that you can hand in when collecting your wine at the ticket office at the end of the tour.